A Summary of the Gospel
This is the most important page on our site. Why?
Without the gospel — the "good news" of Jesus Christ — churches would not exist anywhere, much less First Sibley Presbyterian Church in Sibley, Iowa. This message is the reason we are on the map, and the reason why any one of our members takes part in our fellowship.
The gospel of Jesus Christ is the core message of the Bible and the absolute greatest news any of us could ever hear. It is priceless beyond all comparison and worthy of every book that has ever been written about it ... and many more.
The following six points provide a helpful summary of this timeless, true, and universal message.
1. God is the loving ruler of the world. He made the world. He made us rulers of the world under him.
2. We all reject the ruler — God — by trying to run life our own way without him. But we fail to rule ourselves or society or the world.
3. God won't let us rebel forever. God's punishment for rebellion is death and judgment.
4. Because of his love, God sent his Son into the world: the man Jesus Christ. Jesus always lived under God's rule. Yet by dying in our place he took our punishment and brought forgiveness.
5. God raised Jesus to life again as the ruler of the world. Jesus has conquered death, now gives new life, and will return to judge.
6. Those who submit to Jesus as their ruler and who trust in his death and resurrection as the complete payment for their sins are forgiven by God. God fills them with his Holy Spirit and adopts them into his family as sons and daughters who will live with him forever.
These six points are adapted from Two Ways to Live Two Ways to Love.